No plans yet? Here are some more cool things to do this weekend in London. If you have tips we haven’t covered, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below… Taking a Eurostar soon? 23 ideas to have fun around St Pancras this way.
London off the beaten path
1. 180 luminous miniature origami boats are turning Paddington Basin in the most magical scene.
2. It’s that time of the year again: the Oxford-Cambridge boat race is taking place this Saturday. Click here for the best pubs and restaurants along the Thames to see it from.
3. Celebrate warmer days with Spring Rising’s night carnival this Saturday: glowing procession with giant insects, magical illuminated garden, live musical, digital projections….
4. For Earth Hour (Saturday, 20h30-21h30), Carnaby Street will switch off its lights. No reason not to make the most of it though: you can shop by torchlight, try luminous candles and have a candlelit dinner…
Culture and art in London
1. The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich will make you dream of The Great British Seaside through photographs taken by famous British artists (Martin Parr, Tony Ray-Jones, David Hurn, Simon Roberts…)
2. Not to be missed at the Tate Britain: Anthea Hamilton’s bold, humourous exhibition in which colourful disguised dancers move around.
3. Fall for these fantastic musical tours of London on double deckers: Swinging 60ies, Hendrix, Rolling Stones & Beatles…
4. If spring is coming much too slowly to your taste, stop by St Christopher’s Place and enjoy the digital garden there.
5. The Other Art Fair, dedicated to the very best emerging and undiscovered artists, is back at Victoria House this weekend.
London foodie ideas
1. United Chip now serves an amazing soft shell crab burger. Wow.
2. Pophams Bakery does lemon and poppy seeds croissants. Just saying.
3. Skylon’s new afternoon tea found inspiration in galaxies: the macarons simply are out of this world… It’s called, of course… Gravi-tea!
4. Balthazar’s is all about spring: each cake is a delicate, edible flower! >>> Apple and Blackberry Tulip, Coconut and Yuzu Hydrangea, Salted Caramel Anemone, Lemon & Blueberry Dahlia and Raspberry Rose await…
5. Celebrate World Waffle Day this Sunday. The best place to indulge in London? Duck & Waffle, of course, with its fantastic view on the capital and its super decadent savoury waffles: Ox Cheek Benedict (braised ox cheek, hen’s egg & Sriracha), their famous signature (crispy leg confit, fried duck egg, mustard maple syrup) or on the sweet side the Toffee apple or their amazing Spring Fever Elvis (buttermilk waffle, rhubarb, blood orange & lemon tea jam, almond butter, mascarpone Chantilly).
London for families
1. The Discover Children Story Centre will have a Tolkien reading day for children this Saturday, followed by a craft session to make a dwarf-worthy beard.
2. The V&A Museum of Childhood will have free toddlers sessions with artists Albert Potrony and Aya Kobayashi this Saturday.
3. You can either join the Boat Race mentioned above… or take the kids to the Spitalfields City Farm’s… traditional Goat Race, always very cheerful.
4. Love the Dulwich Picture Gallery? Children can dress up like the people in the paintings and make their own wacky wig on Sunday.
5. Listen to stories on the National Gallery’s magic carpet on Sunday.
Click on the map to see where the events are!