No plans yet? Here are some more cool things to do this weekend in London. If you have tips we haven’t covered, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below… Taking a Eurostar soon? 23 ideas to have fun around St Pancras this way.
London off the beaten path
1. Celebrate Vaisakhi, a Sikh and Punjabi tradition, heritage and culture, on Trafalgar Square this Saturday: music, art, workshops (including how to wear a turban), Indian street food…
2. The Classic Car Boot Sale is back in King’s Cross this weekend: vintage finds presented at the back of collection cars + music and street food. Brilliant.
3. The East End Film Festival will be screening the Wizard of Oz this Saturday at Old Spitalfields Market. The price of a ticket? A donation of non-perishable food to Tower Hamlets Food Bank.
4. A fantastic experience: see Agatha Christie, Witness for the prosecution played… in a real tribunal, at the London County Hall, the public sitting in the viewing galleries.
5. Learn about the mysterious Courtoy Mausoleum at the Brompton Cemetery this Sunday: a trapezoid of dark polished granite with a pyramidal rood and a huge copper door, Egyptian hieroglyphics and some of Leonardo Da Vinci’s more obscure sketches on its exterior walls. It inspired HG Wells to write his novella, “The Time Machine”.
Culture and art in London
1. The British Museum’s new exhibition, dedicated to Rodin, is an absolute see this season.
2. Join the Imperial College London’s incredible science fair: meet amazing scientists, see interactive demonstrations, learn about robotics…
3. Finally: the first statue of a woman has been added to Parliament Square. It pays homage to suffragist leader Millicent Fawcett.
4. Mat Collishaw’s burning flowers, on show at the Queen’s House, will leave you voiceless.
5. Get an insight on life with the Kennedys through Mark Shaw’s picture exhibition at Proud Central.
London foodie ideas
1. Add a little dolce vita to your weekend with Prosecco Springs, a festival dedicated to this sparkling wine complete with masterclasses, Italian food and music.
2. The Tate Modern is opening a summer rooftop terrace, serving ten brews by Wild Beer Co. Amongst other gems, you can indulge in a glass of Breakfast Of Champignons (an ode to the chanterelle mushroom), Wild gins Sleeping Lemons (lemon and salt), Yokai (yuzu, umami)…
3. Loved the Rodin exhibition at the British Museum? Follow up with a Rodin afternoon tea at the Rosewood Hotel nearby, featuring remarkable edible sculptures and marble meringue
4. The latest ice-cream buzz? The avo-latto: avocado-flavoured gelato served in a real avocado shell with a stone made of flaxseed and peanut butter gelato. Try it at Selfridges.
London for families
1. Put your wellies on this Saturday and join the Horniman’s museum nature walk.
2. The East End Film Festival will screen short movies for kids this Saturday at the Old Spitalfields Market, followed by workshops and activities. It’s all free. Why go look for street art in Shoreditch after?
3. Step on board barge Fiona in Kings Cross this Saturday to listen to Finnish legends.
4. Learn hip hop dancing at the Southbank Centre this Sunday.
5. The V&A presents mini shows featuring 19th clown puppets from their collections this Sunday.
Click on the map to see where the events are!