No plans yet? Here are some more cool things to do this weekend in London. If you have tips we haven’t covered, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below… Taking a Eurostar soon? 23 ideas to have fun around St Pancras this way.
London off the beaten path
1. Enjoy a yoga session on the top of the O2 this Saturday.
2. Eltham Palace is hosting a medieval weekend, complete with jousts, troubadours and falcons.
3. Make a detour via Trafalgar Square: West End Live is on this weekend. Time to hum to extracts of your favourite musicals: The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables, Mathilda, the Lion King…
4. Learn to dance the Cuban Salsa by the Thames (near Tower Bridge) this Sunday. Free.
5. Have fun at the Marylebone Summer Fayre: market, community spirit, street food, concerts, outdoor cinema, family activities, fun fair…
Culture and art in London
1. Not to be missed: the Frida Kahlo exhibition at the V&A. Stunning black and white pictures of her youth open the show. Further on, the transformation begins – with the operations came the pain, the inspiration to paint, the orthopaedic leather and plaster corsets, which she turned into art. She embraced the Mexican identity, using the vibrant, colourful clothes to camouflage her weaknesses. Skirts, embroideries, accessories became her amour. Diego Rivera sealed a whole room of her possessions for 50 years when she died: it only was opened in 2004. Everything is in pristine condition… It’s simply impossible not to be moved by her incredible strength. A few pics here!
2. Love beautiful patterns? Don’t miss the Orla Kiely retrospective at the Fashion and Textile Museum.
3. Watch a free outdoor screening of Swan Lake, live from the Royal Opera House on screen this Saturday – right by Tower bridge, free.
4. Turner’s home, which was threatening to collapse, has been beautifully renovated and his garden replanted… Worth a detour.
5. The Halcyon Gallery has included a selection of Andy Warhol’s Ads portfolio in its news exhibition, Art Rocks.
London foodie ideas
1. I love Leake Street – its street art, its alternative vibes, the underground skate park, concerts and free screenings at House of vans… It cuts nicely with the “touristy” side of Southbank. So I’m not sure what to think of this new project, cool bars and restaurants opening there this weekend. Part of me is super excited of something new happening, the other hopes “trendy” will not mean “too branded”. Worth stopping by for the launch this Saturday: there will be demos and games.
2. It’s impossible to resist the Holborn Dining Room: 500 gins at the bar and a pie room.
3. St Germain, the famous elderflower cocktail, has parked its ever so adorable and covered in blooms van-bar in Covent Garden. A sweet little place to enjoy a cocktail.
4. Make the most of the sunny weather and order a picnic basket >> click here for a selection of the best ones in London.
5. Dominique Ansel now serves ice cream in juicy watermelon slices. What a summer treat!
London for families
1. Enjoy a free Alice in Wonderland storytelling session this Saturday: by the Thames, at Hay’s Galleria.
2. Harry Potter fans can learn the little secrets behind the stunning costumes created for the movies at the Warner Bros Studio.
3. Kids can make paper flower bouquet, hair wreath or garland at the (free) PomPom Factory workshop in Old Spitalfields Market this Saturday.
4. You can play skittles for free in Canary Wharf.
5. Dads can spend a fun father’s day with their littles ones in Canary Wharf this Sunday: communal mural to paint, circus/ballet performances and workshops, mini golf, padel, screenings of kids’ movies…
Click on the map to see where the events are!