No plans yet? Here are some more cool things to do this weekend in London. If you have tips we haven’t covered, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below… Taking a Eurostar soon? 23 ideas to have fun around St Pancras this way.
London off the beaten path
1. The Southbank Centre’s themed weekend will be on “Africa Utopia” – lots of shows and activities to enjoy. Amongst the free ones, you can explore the art of head wrap, join a creative workshop, learn Swahili through songs, or Afro-fusion dance moves.
2. Need a dose of magic and escapism? Join rising stars in the world of storytelling at the Battersea Art Centre this Saturday. They will weave together stories of the moon against the musical backdrop of a live musician.
3. Alexandra Palace is opening its Victorian basement for an amazing night of immersive theatre this Saturday: become an extra in Oberon Studio’s fledgling production: “Pyramus & Thisbe”, explore the backstage cabaret, or indulge in a drink in the dungeon bar.
4. The flower ceiling of the Burlington Arcade is absolutely stunning.
5. Did you know you could ski in Chelsea?
Culture and art in London
1. Party at the Whitechapel Gallery’s Nocturnal Creatures event this Saturday evening: (visual, audio, musical) art installations, screenings, performances, guided tours of the sculptures in the City.
2. The Tower of London is hosting an extraordinary dance, music and singing show in its moats this weekend with no less than 150 artists celebrating the wonderful melting pot East London is.
3. The Southbank Centre is celebrating Nelson Mandela’s birth with a (free) exhibition about his life, career, and commitment to equality and justice.
4. Last chance to see Rodin at the British Museum – don’t miss it, his sculptures simply are extraordinary.
London foodie ideas
1. A mini vineyard will appear by London Bridge station this Saturday. Rejoice! It’s Brancott Estate’s, a New Zealand winery offering a (free) tasting their fruity Marlborough white wine.
2. For National Pub Week (July 20th-August 5th), 2,500 pubs are offering free pints…
3. Worth the detour: the bar at the very top of the Gherkin, yes, right under its glass roof! Panoramic view of London included.
4. You can now enjoy your afternoon tea in the Barbican’s tropical conservatory. With unlimited prosecco, no less!
5. Ice-cream, in London has to be as beautiful as it is delicious: click here for a list of the most instagrammable ones. We particularly love the Savoy’s iced éclairs!
London for families
1. The (free) Lambeth Country Show is sure to delight all generations: animals, science, craft workshops and fun fair rides for kids, (afro-beat, funk and soul, reggae) concerts and motorcycle stunt shows.
2. Canary Wharf will be screening family movies (free) this weekend: The chronicles of Narnia (Saturday) and Paddington 2 (Sunday).
3. The Museum of Childhood’s summer festival is back this Sunday – henna, jugglers, drum session, performances, henna, rickshaw rides…
4. The Brompton Cemetery, always so charming with its wild flowers and Victorian graves organises a (free) family day this Sunday: sketch sessions, drumming lessons, storytelling and catacombs tours.
5. Have fun at the Southbank Centre’s African music and dance session for kids this Sunday (free).
Click on the map to see where the events are!