No plans yet? Here are some more cool things to do this weekend in London. If you have tips we haven’t covered, don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below… Taking a Eurostar soon? 23 ideas to have fun around St Pancras this way.
London off the beaten path
1. A tiny village, in Spain, comes alive every year with the quirkiest festival: a tomato fight. It’s coming to Aqua Nueva this Saturday! Two options: a cocktail masterclass + bloody mary + fruity fight or an upgrade with a 3 course meal. Note: they will be using ugly and unloved tomatoes which may have otherwise gone to waste. The remaining tomatoes will go to a compost facility where they will be used to grow more fruit and veg.
2. The Smithfield Market is celebrating its 150th birthday this Saturday and Sunday with a giant party: 6 festival zones, DJs and live music, cabaret and performances, arts, roller disco, fairground, food market and more.
3. The star event this weekend? Notting Hill Carnival, of course!
4. Have fun at a Silent Disco in Soho this Sunday with hits from the 90-00’s.
5. Enjoy a few scares at FrightFest, a horror movie fest. All weekend at the Prince Charles Festival and at Cineworld Leicester Square.
6. Try Alexandra’s Palace giant inflatable obstacle course – 300 metres of fun.
Culture and art in London
1. Well worth a detour at the Hayward Gallery: Drag, self portraits and body politics, featuring the work of over 30 artists exploring identity, gender, class and politics from the 1960s to the present day.
3. Dance at the Southbank Centre’s Great Big Summer Weekend: 4 days of music, workshops and fun for all ages, from mambo to soundpainting.
4. Don’t miss this musical inspired by Edgar Allan Poe’s world on Monday.
5. The Natural History Museum is preparing an incredible puppet show called The Wider Earth, which tells the story of young Charles Darwin’s voyage on HMS Beagle. You can watch iguanas, armadillos, tortoises and exotic fish come to life as the team build the puppets for the production before your eyes in the galleries.
London foodie ideas
1. Click here to find the best addresses for Caribbean food in Notting Hill.
2. Oh my, there is a cheese afternoon tea in London…
3. Indulge in Mason & Company’s Oyster Festival this Sunday and Monday: £15 for a special beer & oyster flight, which includes 3 raw oysters and 3 x 1/3rds of their special oyster-friendly beer. Oyster based cocktails and chargrilled oysters also are on the menu.
4. Indulge in a gin cruise in Camden this Saturday,
5. Make a detour via Soho to try Ben & Jerry’s ice-cream bagel.
London for families
1. Go on an urban safari and look for the many rhino statues, each decorated by a different artist, through London.
2. Join a free Wizard of Oz workshop and screening at The Scoop this Saturday.
3. Did you know Notting Hill Carnival has a special parade and activities for children on Sunday? Tips and details here.
4. Enjoy free theatre, music, comedy shows at the Late Bloom Festival in Canary Wharf. Free.
5. The Natural History Museum’s new immersive (and free) show will take you deep down in the oceans.
Click on the map to see where the events are!